Monday, April 5, 2010

Analyzing Life - (im)possible??

So if read/skim through my last post (which was posted like 10 minutes ago), you should know what this post is going to be about. EVEN IF you didn't, the title should be enough clue. Let's just get to the point, shall we?

One more thing before I get started: This is just my opinion, feel free to agree/disagree with me. Start a debate, whatever. It's your life.

Like I've said Life's complicated, so it's better to separate them into subjects, but do keep in mind that they all connect somehow.

First I want to talk about generalizing life. Everybody does this. Everyone categorizes 'similar' things together. Example of those would be classifying books by genre, alphabet, author, etc. It works for inanimate objects like books because they don't change and grow; they also don't think for themselves. When it comes to living things, it's a whole different story. Scientists classify animals by their body structure, so it's still reasonable. Vertebrates, invertebrates, two legged, four legged, birds, worms, mammals, etc. I don't really have really have a complaint for that because they are all facts. Yes, animals evolve and stuff, but they won't change THAT much each generation. Significant changes to body structure won't come for a good hundred or so generations, if any at all. I'm okay with all the above categorizing. The one I am really annoyed with is how people... I guess another word for it is stereotype.

One simple is example is how people discriminate against so called 'races'. White, Black, Yellow, Brown, Purple, Rainbow, Whatever. I don't care. We're all human, and sorry to say, but that's one race, not ten thousand. So what if his skin colour is white? Does that mean he's white and eat McDonalds every day? Does that mean he's bad at math? Does that mean he fits into all the so called 'white stereotypes'? The first step is to stop stereotyping people. Just because you don't stereotype, doesn't mean you don't group similar people together.

People group similar personalities together. Example would be that people often classify me as 'lazy', which I can't entirely disagree. Pretend bob, an imaginary friend, is 'lazy', then people will tend to group bob and me together, and therefore, we're 'alike'. I completely disagree though. I am lazy about certain things, and he's lazy about certain things. Sure there might be overlaps, but the level of laziness will still differ. 'Lazy' just happens to be the example I am using, but this applies to all the personalities and traits. And that's why it's impossible to find a person who thinks and acts like me; therefore, people shouldn't say things like "He's a lot like you" because no, he's not like me. We're different individuals. So next time if you want to group people together, put everyone in their own category. I wish I could explain more, but feeling is something that can't be expressed in words...

An example of that would be 'love' and 'hate'. When you say you 'love' something, do you ACTUALLY love it 100%? I doubt it. There are probably some other feeling mixed in your 'love' -- it's not pure love. I am not saying those other feeling have to be a bad thing; I'm just saying that it's not pure. You probably used the word love because out of all the feelings you feel towards the thing you're describing, 'love' has the highest percentage. A way to fix this? Not really. You can't say stuff like "I 40% Love you, 10% thinks you're weird, 10% thinks you're lazy, 2% annoyed at you, and the rest think you're pretty." You're not going to get anyone that way. That's why artists are so powerful; they express people feelings in ways we can never express in words. It doesn't matter if it's through a movie, poem, song, photo, drawing... etc. They are all tools that we use to express how we feel about one thing. It's not just for looks.

(offtopic)
Let me go off topic for a bit. Not as many people appreciates artsy movies as we used to. A lot of people rather watch action movies instead of thought provoking movies. I mean, just look at all the recent 'hit movies'. Avatar, Transformers, 2012... need I list more? I don't mean people shouldn't watch them at all... it's just that people seem to enjoy those more than they should. Action movies requires minimal brain work, so it's good for when people want to relax... You know what I mean... I hope.
(/offtopic)

Woah, this post got really long... I think I am just going to end this before it turns into an essay. Maybe I'll do a part two or something... Maybe

One last thing before I end this post though. A lot of people say I don't express my feelings to people, but you know... it's really hard to explain all this in 5 minutes or so. My thought process is quite complicated and explaining this would require a lot of work, so I prefer just not explaining at all.

~Daniel Chou

3 comments:

  1. Everybody's through process is complicated. It's a big headache isn't it? LOL

    I gotta say, though, that saying people don't appreciate artsy movies as much as we used to is untrue. I mean, unless you back it up to the rennaissance, in which art was the be-all-end-all of society. We've been like this for the longest time, taking to kitsch rather than looking at the more passive, more thought provoking works. But even that is a generality. The big-time movies are popular because they appeal to a lot of people, but those individuals have their own interests in separate categories. One person may like Avatar, for example, for its animation and the political undertone to it, so they watch other such films that fall within that subject. Another person may have watched Avatar for the Sci-fi, and therefore watch that subcategory of movies. Transformers may be watched because it's a classic for old time watchers like my brother, or appreciators of the graphics like myself, or the fact that Shia Leboeuf wtf his name is stars in those movies.

    It's a whole ton of things that make the most popular films what they are, and where they stand in the popularity scale. I'm going off topic while talking about your offtopic thing LOL

    Benjamin button was a really popular movie, not much action there?

    Also what is an Artsy movie anyway? in fact, what's Artsy? I don't actually uh know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably using the term artsy too broadly in my post. Artsy is just things with artistic taste? (which probably includes the action movies).

    The kind of movies that people don't appreciate as much are those really deep and thought provoking movies. The kind that normal people would go "I don't see any plot at all.", but actually the meaning is like 5 levels deep. THOSE kind of movies. Yea... A lot of the things I said about is just the surface crap. There are like a lot deeper stuff, which I still did not bother explaining because it's gonna take too long. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said 5 levels I just thought Video Games LOL

    Well it is a blog. You're supposed to express yourself to your heart's content XD

    ReplyDelete