Friday, April 9, 2010

Truly grateful to have met you guys. Thank you.

I have to say, it's quite rare for me to write entries like this. I am going to be quite emotional in this blog. It's a rare sight, kind of like seeing a shiny pokemon.

Music's a big part of my life, and recently I found the song 一個像夏天 一個像秋天 in my iTunes. An English translation would be One is like summer, one is like fall. The title of the song is about how two really different things can actually suit each other quite well. Because they are so different, they cover each other's weakness. This song is quite old, and I never really paid a lot of attention to this song, but now I have. Like I've said, I dug out this song again after a few years, and looked at its lyrics; it really made me appreciate my friends even more than I already do.

This song is about how friends are so important. Sure, some will say family is more important, but I think you need both to be complete. There are some things where you can only tell your family, but there are other things where it's the other way around -- we really need friends to survive in this world. I know I wouldn't survive. I know I am pretty independent, but it's because I know if I ever need something, I can always count on my friends to break my fall.

The first verse goes like this 第一次看你不太順眼、誰知道後來關係那麼密切。我們一個像夏天、一個像秋天。卻總能把冬天變成春天. Translation would be I didn't like you very much when I first saw you, but who knew that we would become so close. We were like summer and fall, but we can always make Winter Spring again. This is very true for me; I have friends that didn't like me very much at first, but we still bonded in the end. I'm really happy.

There is one line that goes like this 如果不是你、我不會相信、朋友比情人還死心踏地. In English is If it's not you, I won't believe that friends are more loyal than lovers. There are countless cases where this had happened for me as I haven't dated in my life, but I can still feel the warmth from my friends overwhelming the sadness in my heart. Thank you.

Another beautiful line is 你了解我所有得意的東西、才常潑我冷水、怕我忘形. It's saying how you understand all the things I get overconfident about, and you put me down just to prevent me from embarrassing myself. It brings up a good point about relationship. Friendship is not friendship if all you're saying is the good part about your friend; that's really fake. Don't give me the bullshit "I like everything about her/him". That's not possible. If you're human, you're bound to find something you don't like about another human being, and it's fine to do that. That's all part of being human, BUT if you truly care about your friend, you would tell your friend the things you don't like about her/him, so the dislike wouldn't evolve into hatred or even further. A relationship built from compliments are fake, fake, fake. After that said, I am sorry if I ever hurt your feeling. I really do care about my friends, but sometimes my jokes are a bit too heavy to others.

One of my favourite line is from the song is 遇見一個人然後生命全改變. It means Life changes after meeting one person. People would think it's the other half, but this line can also work for a friend. In fact, I think it's better when it's describing a friend. How did you two get together? Because you two were friends. It's your other half when she/he was still a friend that changed your life. People think I'm very stubborn, but I always have my ears open for new ways of thinking. The thing is that I just didn't hear anything that would make me want to change my way of thinking, and therefore, it just seems like I am stubborn. What I didn't realise until I looked at this lyrics is that their words do change the way I think -- I may not change right away, but I do change the way I think. Big or Small. So everyone I met changes my life in one way or another, for better or worse. Even if someone makes me go downhill, I wouldn't blame them, it's just all part of life. Even if I sunk too low, I'm sure my friends would just pull me right back up.

Especially right now, I am like poor beyond imagine. Thanks to all my friends who are paying things for me when we hang out. Once I find a job, I will definitely repay this favour. And also, when I said I am moving, you have no idea how many people offered to help me move, or help me find a place. It really surprised me. I don't think I can ever repay this debt of friendship. Thank you for trusting me so much.

Since I'm being all emotional and all, I'd like to take this time to thank some certain individuals.

Cindy
You're like my closest friend, so I don't really need to worry about how heavy my jokes are because I know you'll know it's all okay. I can tell you anything, and you'll be there to listen. And you immediately offered me a place to stay when I said I need a place when I go back to Vancouver. Thanks.

Kathleen
I'm sorry that I scared you that one time, and the other few times that I got mad but wasn't directed to you. You probably think I am scary or something. Even though we have a term for you and all, but I think that's a good thing. Keep that innocence for as long as you can because once you lose it you can never go back. (If you don't know what I am talking about, don't think the wrong way. It is very legit)

Joseph
Though we haven't talked much after we graduated, but thank you for being there during my high school years. Giving me a good reason to skip PE and stuff. And thank you for putting up with my selfish demands sometimes.

Andy D.
I was never mad at you for that bag incidence; I just lost too much brain cells to think about anything that day... To be honest, I don't remember anything after being hit. Thanks for talking to me online when I'm procrastinating.

Nicole
I don't know if you still read my blog or not, but you're one of the most life inspiring person I've met in my whole life. You're probably the one who made me think that sometimes human do need to be emotional. Thank you for helping me with homework during grade 9.

Daniel H.
Don't be surprised that you're on this list. We always acted that we hated each other, but we get along pretty well. It's a relationship built on insults after all. I really enjoy the bizarre conversations we have as long as it doesn't involve certain people/things.

Kevin
Our hobbies matched really well -- sleeping and eating, so we bonded real quickly. Had lots of fun with you around, and I'm glad you're coming to UT this coming year.

Anne
You're another inspiring person I'm glad I met. Opened my eyes to new point of views. I also enjoy reading your blogs though I haven't been commenting very much. Hope you can come to UT though the final decision's still up to you.

Lisa
Really happy that you came to UT, even though it's Scarborough. You added many rays of sunshine to my dull Toronto life during the first month. I also won't forget about the many adventures we had during I block -- real fun.

Kristie
You made a lot of classes fun -- especially social classes. I'm also glad that you came to UT. Taiwan people need to stick together, you know. And it's because of you I met a lot of other people.

Crystal
You're one of the first people I met in Toronto, so if it weren't for you, I'd probably would have no friends or something. It's because of you that I met all your roommates, and thanks for cooking for me many times. Also thanks a lot for being in my video.

Atsushi
Thanks for being there many times for me, and staying up with me during all nighters. You're always okay with my outrageous demands. Had a lot of fun tickling you...

Mike
Tthanks for taking care of me when I sleepover at your place. I also enjoyed the talk we had the other night, opened my eyes to another point of view. I really appreciate for all the things you've done for me even though we just met this year. I would really like to repay you right now, but I just don't have the financial power to do so.

Vicki
You're really open and free towards Mike, unlike some other couples whom I wouldn't name. I really like that about a girl. I had fun talking with you, too. Really bonded for just met. Thanks.

Jinglin
You're the first friend I met from UTSC. You're the one who helped me rediscover my love for photography, so you're also the one who I named the term after. It's only reasonable to do so. It's also because of you I met lots of other people. It's because of you(and Lisa) I get to meet the Shutterbugs people.

Fiona
We didn't officially talk until recently, but the awkward stage didn't last very long at all. I mean just look at the facebook comments. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with you again.

Sunny
Thanks for remembering the name of a hobo like me. Though we haven't really talked until today, but I still had fun joking around with you. To tell you the truth, I enjoy those kind of conversation quite a bit -- as long as it doesn't go into too much details.

Andy K.
I'm thankful for telling me about the program, and offering so much help. Really, truly grateful. Thanks for treating me the other day; I'll return the favour when I can. You've been helping me endlessly ever since we met, but I haven't really done anything to repay you, yet. It's a fresh new start for me in Toronto, and it's quite hard on me.

Like I've mentioned in my earlier blogs, I believe that words can't truly express one's feeling, but that's all I can do at this point and time, so I'm sorry if this means nothing to you. My feelings towards all of you are all deeper than that, but it's all feeling of friendship. My friends are not like my second family because they ARE my second family. Thanks for helping me so much in Toronto. I've never felt so useless in my life right now more than ever. I don't have the power to help anyone as I am not really in the position to do anything like that. I don't have the power to do anything I feel like doing -- totally opposite from back in Burnaby. I believe I'll make it through though, and it's all thanks for all of you supporting me.

Things you see and feel in life will shape who you are in the future, and I find that friends are the most influential factor of all. It's not an exaggeration what so ever, so from the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you for being here for me. Far and near, high and low.

Thank you,
~Daniel Chou

8 comments:

  1. First!! jk =)

    It's nice 2 have met u 2. R these ur last words b4 the exam that u want us 2 remember u by?? =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww daniel :D you're such a sweet friend.
    we are going to hang out more !
    and HAHAHHAHHA fb comments ftw x)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just instead of studying yesterday, I've been watching youtube and searching up music.... I guess you should put it that way? ;D

    Yes, are you here this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. things like this make me so happy :P
    im so glad to have friends like you who appreciate everything that you have around you and not take it all for granted.
    so, no, thank YOU daniel pickachou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little annoyed that my laptop died on me.
    Which means there would be no Skype-ing for a while. DDD:
    I'm glad you kept pestering me to get a mic, ehee. But looks like I'll need to get a new laptop. Fuu.. D:::

    Oh please, I always went to your house after school all the time eating your food, getting rides from your mom, complaining about.. uh whatever it was I complained about. Must have stolen a lot of your food too or whatnot. lol
    Should give back to you some time ne?
    You're welcomed at my place anytime, anyday.
    I mean it.

    As usual, I've got more to say,
    But it wouldn't be something I'd type here, you know xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing all of that. It's nice to hear little blurbs like that once in a while. I honestly never expected to be mentioned in this post, so I feel very honoured. :D Glad to know that I've been able to influence you positively -- that's very flattering to hear, 'cause I had no idea I had that kind of an effect. :)

    BTW, I'm thinking I might transfer to UT after my year in London, so keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the record, I am so not surprised that I am on this list? I'm like the most amazing person ever, and for you to mention me, also makes you sort of amazing :).

    You're welcome for making you amazing ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. *hugs* of course i still read your blog, whenever i get the chance <3 (sorry that this is really late XD;;; )

    you're very welcome, i consider it more than even, you pretty much taught me most of the things i need for life <333

    i miss you lots, but it's ok cuz i'm coming to UT in january for a week for a school-related convention, so hopefully i'll see you then <333

    ReplyDelete