Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quick Update - 花札(Hanafuda)

Ever since watching 'Summer Wars' during winter break, I always wanted to play the card game Hanafuda. In the movie 'Summer Wars', Hanafuda is the card game which Sakae, the awesome grandma, teaches/trains all her children/grandchildren. It then played a big part in the storyline. Both Cindy and Atsushi don't know how to play the game, so I don't really know who else to as. Looking at the wiki page is too confusing... If you know how to play Hanafuda, teach me!

During the great Hanafuda battle, this soundtrack called '一億五千万奇跡'(150 Million Miracles) was played, ad I find it so effective. I get the goosebumps every time I hear this track. I can't find the link to an online player, nor can I upload it, so if you want to listen to it, I'll send it to you.

Go watch 'Summer Wars!!!' ----> here's the trailers ... sorry I can't find ones with english subs.

EDIT: I found a flash game for it. Here's the link

~Daniel Chou

2 comments:

  1. Actually, Hanafuda is pretty easy to learn. You only need to know some certain cards and the value of the cards. Trying to form the Yaku based on wikipedia under Koi-Koi, declare koi-koi if you are lacking of points. Be aware that if you koi-koi and your opponent get a Yaku, you will lose double the points he win with that Yaku. For starter, get a set of Hanafuda and stick those cards with point value so easier to catch the concept of this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'll have to ebay a deck of Hanafuda when I have the financial ability to do so. Thanks for the pointers though! I'll keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete