Monday, January 18, 2010

Rant - world's weirdest 'Logic & Reasoning'

Today in CSC165(the course where I am required to keep a SLOG), the professor talked about some logic and reasoning.

He gave us an example where if both statements are False, the implication will be True(if the format is 'If P, then Q'). An example of 'If P, then Q' can be 'If you don't want to die, then run for your life'.

So basically, he is saying that if P is False and Q is False, then the whole implication is True. His example was 'If I am 7ft tall, then it's -30 outside'. His reason for this being True is because you can never find a counterexample to prove this False. He then gave us a lot more weird examples using math or computer terms (it's a math&computer course after all), and they all made no sense. Most of us are going 'wtf is he talking about??'.

I understand his 'logic and reasoning', but I just don't agree with it. Like the example with 7ft and -30, it's true that you can't find a counterexample, but my argument is that you can't find an example to prove this True. There are things in the world that just has no answer to, and it just seems to me that he's forcing that answer out.

Maybe it's just that my Logic and Reasoning is not that well-developed, that's why I couldn't agree with his, but I don't really think so. My logic and reasoning is beyond most people, the only thing I am missing is more experience -- I can't add something I don't have into my logic and reasoning... Right now, I just hope that I'll be able to take in his Logic and Reasoning soon...=___=.

~Daniel Chou

No comments:

Post a Comment